Main Library (Accomac)
HISTORY and ORGANIZATION
Library services on the Eastern Shore began in 1957 as a demonstration project of the Commonwealth of Virginia, located in the Town of Accomac’s Community Hall.In 1958, the Boards of Supervisors of Accomack and Northampton Counties adopted resolutions creating a regional public library in accordance with the provisions of Virginia law governing libraries. The existing main library building was built in 1964 and expanded in 1982.
The Eastern Shore of Virginia stretches from the Chesapeake Bay at the southern tip to Maryland’s border at the northern edge. It is composed of two counties: Northampton County, from the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel to just north of the town of Exmore, and Accomack County from there to the Maryland border.
We rely on volunteers each day to keep the library running smoothly and to help with programs and special projects. Join other dedicated volunteers, meet interesting people, and help give back to the community. With our limited resources, our volunteers help to maintain the high quality of service that our patrons deserve.